Metrocards for the needy


Donate  
Scroll Down

The NeXT Stop Project


Our Mission


NeXT Stop is dedicated to providing transportation one MetroCard at a time. Transportation is needed to access vital resources such as food, health care, employment and education. We believe equal access to transportation offers an equal opportunity to succeed. Our goal is to help people become self-sufficient.


The Opportunity


We realized MetroCards often go unused when their value dips below the $2.50 full-fare cost. Over $50 million dollars worth of MetroCards goes unused each year!  We saw this as an opportunity to provide public transportation with private waste.

 


Our Contribution


NeXT Stop collects low-balance MetroCards, combines them, then distributes full-fare cards to its Partners – outreach organizations such as soup kitchens and vocational placement programs. We work with our Partners to select individuals who are seeking opportunity but struggling to get to their “next stop,” like job interviews and medical appointments.

About Us


NeXT Stop is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and donations are tax deductible. 100% of donations go to MetroCards – we are completely volunteer-run and all administrative costs are covered by our team members.

 



Mobilizing the Community


Everyone has somewhere to go. Please support us in helping others get to their NeXT Stop. Every MetroCard counts!

0+
MetroCards Distributed
0+
MetroCards Collected
0+
Job Interviews
 
0+
Medical Appointments

Frequently Asked Questions


How are MetroCards distributed and to whom?


NeXT Stop donates MetroCards to its Partners – outreach organizations such as soup kitchens, vocational placement programs, and homeless shelters – and they distribute to their clients based on need. Our strongest partner relationship is with Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen, the largest of its kind in NYC and second largest in the USA. NeXT Stop works with its Partners to ensure MetroCards are distributed appropriately.


How do I make a donation to NeXT Stop?


Donate online here. Alternatively, mail MetroCards or a check payable to ‘NeXT Stop’ and send to:
NeXT Stop
101 W. 90th Street, #18B
New York, NY 10024


Where are the donations going?


100% of your donations go to MetroCard purchases and collection – NeXT Stop team members are volunteers with no salaries and board members fund our administrative costs. Approximately 95% of donations are spent on buying MetroCards to distribute to our Partners, the other 5% on collection boxes.


How will NeXT Stop collect insufficient cards?


The most efficient method is to place collection boxes in subway stations but the MTA refuses to allow it. We are targeting NYC stores, hotels, and museums for dropbox locations. Check out our Locations page. More coming soon!


How many people really need this?


More than 50,000 people sleep in NYC homeless shelters every night. More than 20% of NYC lives under the poverty line and 45% are dangerously close.


I want to help but can’t donate money – what can I do?


You can help spread awareness, collect MetroCards, find outreach organizations to partner with, fundraise, enlist political support…and so many other ways! Contact us to join the effort.


Is this just for New York City?


Yes. NeXT Stop is starting with NYC to focus its efforts but this is just the first stop. Transportation is a need everywhere.


Thank You For Your Support


[responsive_text selector=”.resp-h” compression=”1.5″ min_size=”36px” max_size=”72px”